Do you want to develop a refugee community?
Asylum Welcome can help you to help other refugees.
Why do we run this service?
Learning from the experience of larger cities, we know that helping refugees to run their own vibrant community organisations is one of the best ways of ensuring that they receive long-term support. Refugee-led community organisations help communities to reduce isolation, socialise, resolve difficulties collectively and are a platform for celebrating different cultures.
The project aims to strengthen refugee community organisation (RCOs) and diaspora groups and communities that support refugees and vulnerable migrants in Oxfordshire to improve their services for refugees, asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants.
Who is it for?
Refugees who want to meet with other refugees who share a similar language, nationality or ethnicity for mutual support.
What does the service offer?
- A chance to hold regular meetings in Asylum Welcome’s offices.
- Small amounts of funding to run social and educational activities that benefit the community.
- Advice and support for community leaders on how to develop a community organisation.
- Use of computers and other facilities for community leaders to plan activities.
- Up-to-date information relevant to refugees and to community groups.
- Opportunities to attend external meetings alongside Asylum Welcome and make your voices heard.
Who are our partners?
Asylum Welcome is currently supporting the following Refugee Community Organisations, which are all providing excellent support to refugees in Oxford and Oxfordshire:
- Syrian Sisters
- Syrian Community of Oxford
- BK Luwo African Women's Group
- Oxford Sudanese Community
- Oxford Somali Community
- Somali Ladies Group
Details about the leaders of these groups are all on the Our Team page.
How to find out more
If you would like help to develop your community, or if you would like to join one of the groups that we support, then contact the Asylum Welcome Refugee Community Organisations Project Coordinator, Fazil Kawani, at the main office.