Why do we run this service?
Asylum seekers and refugees often arrive in the UK with very few belongings.
Warm clothing is essential for the British Winter. Toiletries are essential for personal dignity as well as hygiene, but affording them can be a struggle.
A haircut can be unaffordable for an asylum seeker. We believe enabling them to have a haircut when needed is part of maintaining their dignity and self-esteem.
Sometimes it can also be difficult to get hold of other basic items, for example bedding, cooking utensils or baby equipment. Helping to connect asylum seekers and refugees with donated goods makes a significant difference to their welfare.
Who is this for?
Asylum seekers and refugees, especially new arrivals and those setting up home.
How to find out more
Contact our Welcome Centre.
We always welcome donations of toiletries if they are unopened.
Because of our limited capacity, please contact us to discuss before donating clothing or household items. Thanks.
What does the service offer?
- Hand-made, new knitted clothes
- A limited amount of second-hand clothing, including shoes
- Basic toiletries like soap, toothpaste, shampoo, razors and nappies.
- Assistance to match asylum seekers and refugees who have specific requirements for household items, with donors who can make such items available.
- Help with applications to local charities which give small grants to individuals for essential items.
- A free haircut by a trainee hair-dresser.
Who are our partners?
We are grateful to Knit for Peace for providing us with beautiful, newly hand-knitted items.
We are grateful to OXFAP and OXPAT for their commitment to providing small grants.
We work with the City of Oxford College to provide the free haircuts.