In the last few days, the government has made a series of announcements about tougher policies affecting asylum seekers and other migrants who are in the UK.
Asylum Welcome has had a number of calls seeking further information and offering help.
Thank you very much for your interest and support. If you would like to show your support, here are a few ways:
- If you know of any asylum seekers or refugees who are worried by the announcements and need some advice, encourage them to get in touch with the experienced advisers at our Welcome Centre.
- Our foodbank always welcomes donations of tinned and packaged food and basic toiletries – which are all given to asylum seekers and refugees as needed.
- The Oxford City of Sanctuary committee (a different organisation) is fielding offers of spare rooms for asylum seekers – you can find out more on their website.
- Contact your M.P. to give your views on the government’s proposals, and keep in touch with us, and with your M.P. as further details emerge in the new Immigration Bill in September.
- Help our fundraising efforts, perhaps by hosting a cake sale or book sale or making a donation.
- As fear and intolerance increases, help spread a message of welcome.